Celestron StarSense Explorer DX 130AZ Reflector Telescope
- Unleash the power of your smartphone to take you on a guided tour of the night sky—no telescope experience required.
- Award-winning and patented StarSense sky recognition technology uses your smartphone to analyze star patterns overhead and calculate its position in real time.
- StarSense Explorer Powered by SkySafari™ app automatically generates a list of objects currently visible. View planets, brighter nebulae and galaxies, star clusters, and double stars from the city. Or take your telescope to darker skies to view faint, deep sky objects.
- Manual altazimuth mount with smooth, dual-axis slow-motion controls makes it easy to follow the on-screen arrows to your desired target. When the bullseye turns green, it’s ready to view in the telescope’s eyepiece.
- 130mm (5”) Newtonian reflector with highly reflective coatings and enough light gathering ability to view all the best celestial objects.
- Includes 25mm and 10mm eyepieces, StarSense smartphone dock, a red dot finderscope (in case you want to use the telescope without your phone), and a sturdy, full-height tripod.
Celestron has reinvented the manual telescope with StarSense Explorer—the first telescope that uses your smartphone to analyze the night sky and calculate its position in real time. StarSense Explorer is ideal for beginners thanks to the app’s user-friendly interface and detailed tutorials. It’s like having your own personal tour guide of the night sky.
Dock, Launch, Explore
Leave complicated star charts, imprecise planetarium apps, and computerized mounts behind. With StarSense Explorer, locating objects has never been easier, faster, or more accurate. Within minutes of setting up the telescope, you’ll be navigating the sky with confidence. Simply place your phone in the unique StarSense dock and launch the StarSense Explorer app. After aligning your phone to the telescope’s optics (a quick, 2-minute procedure), StarSense Explorer generates a list of celestial objects currently visible. Make your selection and arrows appear onscreen, guiding you as you to move the telescope. When the object is ready to view, the bullseye turns green.
StarSense Explorer works with most modern smartphones, including iPhone 6 and up and most devices running Android 7.1.2 or later manufactured since 2016. For a complete compatibility list, click here.
Patented StarSense Sky Recognition Technology
StarSense Explorer uses patented technology and your smartphone to determine exactly where the telescope is pointed in the night sky. A Lost in Space Algorithm (LISA), like the ones satellites use in orbit to correctly orient themselves, helps the app match star patterns it detects overhead to its internal database.
While other astronomy apps may claim that they can help you find objects, they rely exclusively on the phone’s gyros and accelerometers, which aren’t as accurate as LISA technology. No other app can accurately tell you when your target is visible in the eyepiece.
High Quality Altazimuth Mount with Slow Motion Control
An ultra-stable altazimuth mount provides a sturdy foundation for StarSense Explorer DX. Slip clutches and geared slow motion controls in both axes help you move the telescope smoothly and zero in your target. As celestial objects appear to drift across the night sky, you’ll be able to follow them with just a few turns of the knobs. It’s all anchored by an adjustable, full-height tripod.
Dazzling Views with High Quality Optics
With a large 130mm (5”) objective lens, this telescope has enough light gathering ability to bring out impressive detail in celestial objects. You can expect sharp, bright views of Jupiter’s four Galilean moons, its cloud bands and Great Red Spot, the rings of Saturn, the trapezium in the Orion Nebula, and beautiful Pleiades Open Star Cluster. Highly reflective coatings on both the primary and secondary mirror enhance the views even more.
Perfect for the City or Dark Sky Sites
Even if you live in a light polluted city location, StarSense Explorer is advanced enough to be able to pick out Jupiter, Saturn, Venus, the Orion Nebula, double stars, and a few more of the most famous celestial objects.
But if you can take the telescope to an even slightly darker location, more objects will become visible. With this 5” Newtonian and relatively dark skies, the Andromeda Galaxy, Hercules Open Star Cluster, and so many more are easily within your reach.
The entire telescope kit weighs just 18 pounds, so it’s perfectly portable and easy to bring on your next camping trip or to a remote observing site.
Everything You Need to Observe Immediately
When you unbox your new StarSense Explorer DX, you’ll find:
- 130mm Newtonian reflector optical tube
- StarSense dock for your smartphone
- Low powered (25mm) and high powered (10mm) eyepiece
- StarPointer red dot finderscope, perfect for using the telescope during the day or without the StarSense Explorer app
- Altazimuth mount with slow motion controls
- Full-height tripod with an accessory tray to keep you organized
Optical Tube Information
|Focal Length of Eyepiece 1
|Magnification of Eyepiece 1
|Focal Length of Eyepiece 2
|Magnification of Eyepiece 2
|StarPointer™ red dot finderscope
|Highest Useful Magnification
|Lowest Useful Magnification
|Limiting Stellar Magnitude
|1.07 arc seconds
|0.89 arc seconds
|Light Gathering Power (Compared to human eye)
|Secondary Mirror Obstruction
|Secondary Mirror Obstruction by Diameter
|Secondary Mirror Obstruction by Area
|Glass mirrors coated with aluminum and SiO₂
|Optical Tube Length
|Optical Tube Diameter
|Optical Tube Weight
|8.8 lbs (3.99 kg)
|CG-5 Dovetail Bar
|Height adjustment range (includes mount and tripod)
|Aluminum, 1244.6mm (49") max height
|9.2 lbs (4.17 kg)
|Uses phone's GPS
|CG-5 Dovetail bar
|None (Recommend PowerTank Glow to keep phone charged while using App)
|Use StarSense Explorer App
|StarSense Explorer App, SkyPortal App, and Celestron Starry Night Basic Edition Software
|Total Kit Weight
|18 lbs (8.16 kg)
|Optical tube, Mount and tripod (preassembled), 25mm and 10mm eyepieces, StarPointer finderscope, Accessory tray, StarSense Explorer phone dock
Never look directly at the Sun with the naked eye or with an optic (unless you have the proper solar filter). Permanent and irreversible eye damage may result.
Never use your optic to project an image of the Sun onto any surface. Internal heat build-up can damage the optic and any accessories attached to it.
Never leave your optic unsupervised. Make sure an adult who is familiar with the correct operating procedures is with your optic at all times, especially when children are present.
Shipping & Returns
- We ship Australia wide. Final rates are calculated at the checkout.
- Orders for instock product are shipped within 24 business hours
- We offer flat rate shipping starting to most countries worldwide. International shipments do not include any duties or taxes which may be payable upon entry of the order into your country. Please contact your local customs authorities for more information.
For more details please see our Shipping Policy
We accept returns up to 30 days after delivery, if the item is unused and in its original condition, and we will refund the full order amount minus the shipping costs for the return.
Some items may not be eligible for returns, please refer to the individual product descriptions for more information
For more details please see our Returns Policy
Thanks for shopping with us!
Australian Geographic contributes 100% of its profits to its registered charity the Australian Geographic Society to fund its conservation and sustainability grants.