In 1820, after millennia spent speculating and searching, humans laid eyes on Antarctica for the very first time. Since then, our relationship with this enigmatic land of ice and snow has continually evolved, from one of industry during the sealing and whaling eras, to exploration as pioneers charted undiscovered coastlines and forged perilous paths towards the South Pole. Today, the human relationship with Antarctica is defined by scientific endeavour, international collaboration and luxury tourism. The bicentenary of the first human sighting of Antarctica is an opportunity to reflect on our Antarctic legacy as the latest scientific research reveals the startling impacts that climate change in Antarctica could have on a global scale. Discover this remarkable continent covered in ice, where days endure for months, highways are built by penguins, and shimmering lights illuminate the night sky.
- Highly illustrated photographic celebration of Antarctica
- Six chapters survey exploration, management, Australian links to Antarctica , physical environment, wildlife and climate change
- Includes newly updated map of Antarctica by AG cartographer Will Pringle.
About the author:
Nina Gallo is a professional adventure guide who has spent time in far northern Canada, the Himalayas, the Alps and deserts in America and Australia. Trained as an outdoor guide, Nina spent four years at University and completed a BA. She is passionate about the natural world and sharing her travels and experiences.
Hardback (280.00mm X 240.00mm)
Shipping & Returns
- We ship Australia wide. Final rates are calculated at the checkout.
- Orders for instock product are shipped within 24 business hours
- We offer flat rate shipping starting to most countries worldwide. International shipments do not include any duties or taxes which may be payable upon entry of the order into your country. Please contact your local customs authorities for more information.
For more details please see our Shipping Policy
We accept returns up to 30 days after delivery, if the item is unused and in its original condition, and we will refund the full order amount minus the shipping costs for the return.
Some items may not be eligible for returns, please refer to the individual product descriptions for more information
For more details please see our Returns Policy
Thanks for shopping with us!
Australian Geographic contributes 100% of its profits to its registered charity the Australian Geographic Society to fund its conservation and sustainability grants.