• effective self-management and self-awareness
• team-working skills
• emotional intelligence
• a reflective practitioner approach
• problem-solving and task management
• creative thinking skills.
This third edition has been thoroughly updated to give the best advice for planning your career in today's job market. It retains its unique, personalised approach, helping you to get the best out of your education.
New to this edition:
• a brand new chapter on what employers are looking for
• a new introduction, with advice on how to take charge of your life, education and career
• additional guidance on career planning and strategies to help you get the job you want.
Whether you're just starting at college or university, or about to leave a postgraduate programme, Skills for Success will help you to think creatively and constructively about personal, academic and career goals.
Stella Cottrell is Pro-Vice-Chancellor for Learning, Teaching and Student Engagement at the University of East London, UK and was formerly the Director of Lifelong Learning at the university of Leeds, UK. She is an international bestselling author, with over a million sales worldwide. Her other titles include The Study Skills Handbook, Critical Thinking Skills, The Palgrave Student Planner, The Exam Skills Handbook and Dissertations & Project Reports.
Table of Contents
Introduction: Taking Charge of your Life, Learning and Career
PART I: SELF-MANAGEMENT
1. The Vision: What does `Success` Mean to You?
2. Know Yourself
3. Understanding your Personal Performance
4. Successful Self-Management
PART II: PEOPLE AND TASKs
5. People Skills
6. Successful Problem-Solving and Task Management
PART III: EXTEND YOUR THINKING
7. Thinking Outside of the Box
8. The Art of Reflection
PART IV: EMPLOYABILITY: ENHANCING YOUR CAREER PROSPECTS
9. What do Employers Really Want?
10. Getting the Job You Want
11. Maintaining Good Personal Records
12. Drawing it Together
13. Resource Bank