Our contact details are:
Level 1, 15 Foster Street
Surry Hills NSW 2010
We understand that the details you provide us are private and personal, and it is important that you feel secure whenever you deal with us. It is also important that you understand how we collect, hold, disclose and protect your personal information. Australian Geographic is subject to the Australian Privacy Principles under the Privacy Act 1988 (Cth) (Privacy Act) and we will protect and treat your personal information in accordance with those principles.
What information we collect and why
When you become a Member of Australian Geographic or register to use the Australian Geographic website (Site) to shop online, we ask for your name, your email address, your mailing / shipping address, your telephone number, address and your date of birth.If you wish to purchase an item from the Site we will ask for your credit card details.
We also collect personal information from you when you:
- register and shop with us on the Site;
- receive products and services from participating 3rd party vendors (including, but not limited to, news, travel, charity, financial and telecommunication good and/or services);
- use your Australian Geographic magazine membership number to receive a discount on your purchase;
- submit your resume to us for consideration of job vacancies or employment purposes (If you submit your resume to us, we will keep it in a database for consideration of particular jobs that arise within Australian Geographic);
- tell us about your shopping experiences at Australian Geographic by completing a customer service survey; or
- update your membership details including you marketing contact preferences.
Use of your information
The information that we ask for is generally used to:
- provide goods and services to you;
- process payments for goods and services;
- post products to you;
- assess your suitability for a position of employment;
- provide you with third party offers; and
- keep you informed of relevant activities and offers from Australian Geographic.
We may also contact you about products and services, offered by us, any of our related entities or a third party vendor, which we believe may interest you. When we contact you in this manner, we will provide you with an opportunity to opt out of any further similar communications from us. You may opt out of receiving these communications at any time by logging onto the Site and updating your preferences.
Privacy and the Site
If you visit the Site, we may also collect the following information during your visit:
- the date and time you accessed each page on the Site;
- the URL of any webpage from which you accessed the Site;
- cookies which track your visits to the Site; and
- the web browser that you are using and the pages you accessed.
Contact with Australian Geographic
We will keep you informed of the latest offers, current promotions and specials at Australian Geographic, and any Media Releases via email newsletters, mails, SMSs, SMS vouchers or app notifications. We will provide you with the option to opt-out of receiving any marketing or promotional material. If you no longer wish to receive these communications, you may unsubscribe by logging onto the Site and updating your preferences.
You are entitled under the Privacy Act to access the information we hold about you and request that it be corrected. You may do this by contacting us. If you make an access request, we will need to validate your identity to ensure that we do not provide information to anyone who does not have the right to your information. If you believe that the personal information we hold about you is not accurate, complete or up to date, then you may ask us to amend it.
We use industry-standard encryption technologies when transferring and receiving personal information exchanged on the Site. All data is stored on dedicated servers, located in Australia, using EVSSL encryption. The security of our visitors' information is of great importance to us, and we will take all reasonable precautions to ensure that your details are protected.
We take great care with the information we hold about you. Our aim is to ensure that any details are securely protected from misuse, interference, loss, and unauthorised access, modification or disclosure. We will take reasonable care to make sure that we keep your information in an accurate, complete and up to date manner. When that information is no longer needed, it will be permanently destroyed or de-identified.
Whilst it is true that no system is ever completely secure, we believe the measures we have implemented provide appropriate protection.
You may be able to access external websites by clicking on links we have provided on the Site. However, these websites are not subject to our privacy standards, policies and procedures, and we expressly disclaim any loss or liability arising in relation to your access to, or any information you disclose on, those websites. You will need to contact or review those websites directly to ascertain their privacy standards, policies and procedures.
If you have a complaint
We value our Members and customers. We will always aim to be fair and responsive. When we receive a complaint, we look on it as valuable feedback that may help us to improve the services we offer and to ensure your needs are met in a satisfactory and appropriate manner. If you believe that we have breached our obligations under the Privacy Act, or you have any complaint regarding the treatment of your personal information by us, please contact our Privacy Officer using the contact details above. If we have not responded to your complaint within 30 days, you can make a complaint to the Office of the Australian Information Commissioner about the handling of your personal information.