This helpful guide to studying law and preparing for assessments explains the theory of legal argumentation and demonstrates how those skills can be applied in law examinations. It includes sample exam questions and answers from key topics with an explanation how to achieve higher marks.
A practical and engaging guide to successful law study and assessment outcomes
Successfully navigating the particular requirements of law school and legal study can be challenging, even for the most capable of students. Mastering Law Studies and Law Exam Techniques de-mystifies the process of studying law and provides the foundations for law school success.
The first part of the book provides basic rules and helpful hints on study techniques. The second part shows how to apply these guidelines by presenting a range of sample exam questions and answers contributed by experienced law lecturers from leading Australasian universities. This section includes commentary from examiners about what separates an above average answer from an average answer.
Guides to success in moot court and on how to approach multiple choice and essay assessments are also included.
The ninth edition of this successful book has been updated to reflect recent developments in case law and legislation.
• Reader-friendly guidance on how to study law effectively
• Sample exam questions and answers in a range of core subject areas
• Explains what lecturers look for in exam answers
• Designed for law students and others studying law subjects
• Includes specific advice for commerce or business law students
Chisholm & Nettheim, Understanding Law, 8th ed, 2012
Cook, Creyke, Geddes, Hamer, & Taylor, Laying Down the Law, 9th ed, 2015
Corbett-Jarvis & Grigg, Effective Legal Writing: A Practical Guide, 2014
Richard Krever is a Professor at Monash University.
Other Contributors: The sample examination questions, answers and some commentary are contributed by experienced law lecturers from leading Australasian universities.
Table of contents
2. An Introduction to Law Studies and Law Exams: Understanding the Dialectic of Law
3. Reading and Summarising Cases
4. Some Studying Hints
5. Some Basic Rules
6. Multiple Choice and Essay Questions
7. Sample Tort Exam Essay Question Ian Malkin and Paula O’Brien
8. Moot Court Julie Cassidy
9. Sample Exam Questions and Answers:
• Legal Process (Introduction to Legal Reasoning): Ross Hyams
• Contract Law: Elisabeth Peden
• Tort Law: Ian Malkin & Paula O’Brien
• Criminal Law: Mary Heath
• Constitutional Law: Melissa Castan
• Administrative Law: Daniel Stewart
• Evidence Law: Miiko Kumar
• Trusts Law: Susan Barkehall Thomas
• Company Law: John Duns
• Income Tax Law: Nolan Sharkey
• Competition Law: Julie Clarke
10. Study Strategies and Suggestions for Commerce Students Michael Kobetsky
• Business Law: Pearl Rozenberg