p>This seventh edition incorporates references to the new Competition and Consumer Act 2010 (Cth) as it applies to contracts generally but with especial reference to the provisions dealing with misleading and deceptive conduct, consumer guarantees, unjust contracts, exemption clauses, harassment and coercion, the effectiveness of disclaimers and the provision of alternative remedies. Major cases included are:
- United Group Rail Services Ltd v Rail Corporation New South Wales and AMCI (IO) Pty Ltd v Aquila Steel Pty Ltd ? agreements to negotiate in good faith;
- Olivaylle Pty Ltd v Flottweg AG (No 4) ? the application of the postal rule in cases of emailed acceptances;
- PRA Electrical Pty Ltd v Perseverance Exploration Pty Ltd and Waldorf Apartment Hotel, The Entrance Pty Ltd v Owners Corp SP 71623, following the principle in Brogden v Metropolitan Railway Co in relation to contracts that arise through conduct;
- IATA v Ansett Australia Holdings Ltd ? contractual intention and the need to give commercial contracts a businesslike interpretation;
- Ford v Perpetual Trustees Victoria Ltd ? non est factum and the test for negligent signing; and
- Insight Vacations Pty Ltd v Young ? strict interpretation of exemption clauses.