This sixth edition of The Criminal Codes: Commentary and Materials has been substantially revised to increase overall clarity and to ensure a balanced examination of the criminal law in the “Code” States, Queensland and Western Australia.
The work has been brought up-to-date in all areas and provides valuable comment on the recent wide-reaching reforms to the law of homicide in Western Australia.
Significant developments in both States discussed in this edition include:
- The abolition of willful murder and infanticide, and the new definition of murder (WA);
- The introduction of the new offence of unlawful assault causing death (WA);
- The abolition of provocation to murder (WA), and whether this excuse still has a part to play (Qld);
- The reformulation of the excuse of self defense, and the introduction of excessive self defense (WA);
- The creation of offences for drink spiking (Qld and WA); and
- Current and proposed sentencing considerations (Qld and WA).
Fundamental principles of the criminal law are illustrated throughout the book by selected extracts from the Codes and case law, while additional materials foster critical reflection on the law and the need for reform. The Criminal Codes: Commentary and Materials, 6th Edition is essential reading for students studying criminal law in Western Australia and Queensland.