This text is an indispensable reference work containing over 10,000 terms in 100 subject areas reviewed, updated and expanded by a large team of legal experts from across Australia.
The LexisNexis Concise Australian Legal Dictionary, 5th edition features succinct plain English definitions, supported by judicial and legislative authority, to provide a key point of reference for practitioners, students and the general reader. The scope, relevance and currency of the terms defined ensure that this work remains the most accurate, authoritative and popular legal dictionary in Australia.
- Over 10,000 terms in 100 subject areas
- Extensive coverage in core legal areas
- Concise plain English definitions
- Contributions selected, reviewed and edited by Australian legal experts
- Legislative and judicial authority supports key definitions
- Extensive cross-referencing for easy navigation to related terms
- Phonetic pronunciation of Latin terms
- Seven appendices of useful information, including the Commonwealth Constitution
About the Authors
Ray Finkelstein is a Barrister and an Adjunct Professor, Faculty of Law, at Monash University. He is a former Judge of the Federal Court of Australia and President of the Australian Competition Tribunal.
David Hamer is an Associate Professor, Faculty of Law, at the University of Sydney. He is also a co-author of the LexisNexis publication, Laying Down the Law, 9th ed, 2015.
Specialist Area Editors
Real property and Auctions – Peter Butt is Emeritus Professor, in the Faculty of Law, University of Sydney. He is a Solicitor and Consultant, King & Wood Mallesons and a Foundation Director of the Centre for Plain Legal Language.
Criminal Law – Rod Howie is a former New South Wales District Court Judge and Supreme Court Justice. He is the co-author of Criminal Practice and Procedure (NSW) and Hayes and Eburn Criminal Law and Procedure in New South Wales.