Introduce your beginning programmers to the power of Java for developing applications with the engaging, hands-on approach in Farrell's JAVA PROGRAMMING, 8E. With this text, even first-time programmers can quickly develop useful programs while learning the basic principles of structured and object-oriented programming. The text incorporates the latest version of Java with a reader-friendly presentation and meaningful real-world exercises. Updated Programming Exercises and a wealth of case problems help students build skills critical for ongoing programming success. You'll find additional resources to equip beginning Java programmers with the online CourseMate that includes a wealth of interactive teaching and learning tools and unique Video Quizzes created by the text author.
About the Author
Joyce Farrell has authored several popular programming textbooks, including books on Programming Logic and Design, Java, C#, and C++. Her books are recognized for their clear, direct writing style and effective presentation. A well-respected instructor, Ms. Farrell has taught Computer Information Systems at Harper College in Palatine, Illinois; the University of Wisconsin-Stevens Point; and McHenry County College in Crystal Lake, Illinois.
- CLEAR LEARNING OBJECTIVES DIRECT ATTENTION TO VITAL POINTS OF LEARNING. Each chapter begins with a list of well-defined objectives, enabling you and your students to efficiently review the topics presented in the chapter at a glance.
- INFORMATIVE FIGURES IN EACH CHAPTER CLARIFY AND ILLUSTRATE IMPORTANT CONCEPTS. Code figures, frequently 25 lines or less, illustrate one concept at a time. All Java keywords appear in color to differentiate them from program-created identifiers. Abundant helpful screen captures show exactly how program output appears.
- FULL PROGRAM FILES ENABLE CONVENIENT CLASS PRESENTATIONS AND ALLOW READERS TO EXPERIMENT WITH THE LANGUAGE. Every complete program shown in this edition is included in a file. Students can run and modify these programs to experiment with the programming language. The full programs also allow you to execute programs in class without extensive typing or testing of classroom program examples.
- "TWO TRUTHS AND A LIE" QUIZZES KEEP REVIEW ENGAGING AND INTERACTIVE. These intriguing short quizzes appear after each section and contain two true statements and one false statement about the preceding section of text. These true-false mini-quizzes provide students with immediate feedback as they read, without "giving away" answers to end-of-chapter multiple-choice and programming problem questions. This allows you to use the end-of-chapter exercises as assignments or test questions, if desired.
- QUICK-REFERENCE GLOSSARY CLARIFIES ALL KEY TERMS. Students can easily locate any important term from the book with a handy Glossary that contains definitions for all key terms presented in alphabetical order.
- HELPFUL NOTES AND TIPS DIRECT STUDENTS TO ADDITIONAL INFORMATION TO ENSURE UNDERSTANDING. These Notes and Tips provide additional, supporting information that expands upon a topic or explains a common error learners should avoid.
- FIVE APPENDICES PRESENT OPTIONAL INFORMATION ABOUT WORKING WITH JAVA AND RELATED PROGRAMMING CODE. For your flexibility in teaching, this book includes detailed appendices with optional content that details information on working with the Java platform, ASCII and Unicode, formatting output, generating random numbers, and using Javadoc.
- COURSEMATE WITH VIDEO QUIZZES OFFERS INTERACTIVE TEACHING AND LEARNING TOOLS. CourseMate brings course concepts to life with interactive learning, study, and exam preparation tools that support the printed book. You'll find a variety of quizzes, flashcards, videos, and an interactive eBook to address students' varied learning styles. You can assess student engagement in your course using the website's Engagement Tracker.
New to this Edition
- ALL PROGRAMS INCORPORATE THE LATEST VERSION OF JAVA. Programs throughout this edition have been tested using Java 8 to equip your students to master the latest version of the world's most popular development platform
- ALL PROGRAMS AND VISUALS REFLECT WINDOWS 8.1. This edition's programs and all screen shots use Windows 8.1 to prepare your students to work most effectively in this new environment.
- NEW DATE AND TIME CLASSES PROVIDE LEARNERS WITH A DETAILED UNDERSTANDING OF THESE NEW FEATURES. This edition thoroughly covers the java.time package which is new in Java 8.
- NEW COVERAGE EMPHASIZES USE OF ON-SCREEN KEYBOARD. This edition provides thorough instruction for displaying and using an on-screen keyboard with either a touch-screen or a standard screen.
- COMPLETELY REVISED GRAPHICS CHAPTER HIGHLIGHTS MODERNIZED GRAPHICS OUTPUT. Chapter 16 is completely rewritten to focus on Swing component graphics production using the paintComponent() method.
- NEW PROGRAMMING EXERCISES PROVIDE ESSENTIAL HANDS-ON PRACTICE. Each chapter contains several new programming exercises not seen in previous editions. Replaced exercises and solutions from the previous edition are still available for your convenience on the Instructor's Companion Site.
CourseMate, 1 term (6 months) Instant Access (included)
Cengage Learning's CourseMate brings course concepts to life with interactive learning, study, and exam preparation tools that support the printed textbook. Access an integrated eBook, learning tools including videos, flashcards, quizzes, and more, all designed specifically to work with Java Programming, 8E.
Table of Contents
1. Creating Your First Java Classes.
2. Using Data.
3. Using Methods, Classes and Objects.
4. More Object Concepts.
5. Making Decisions.
7. Characters, Strings and the StringBuilder.
9. Advanced Array Concepts.
10. Introduction to Inheritance.
11. Advanced Inheritance Concepts.
12. Exception Handling.
13. File Input and Output.
14. Introduction to Swing Components.
15. Advanced GUI Topics.
Appendix A – Working with the Java Platform.
Appendix B – Learning about ASCII and Unicode.
Appendix C – Formatting Output.
Appendix D – Generating Random Numbers.
Appendix E – Javadoc.