The Ant Jungle formicarium is a fantastic way to observe the natural world of ants and is a classic educational toy. Watch as the ants make their way through the maze and balance on the tightrope using their amazing natural skills! Just add soil and any type of ants to see what daily life underground is like. The ant farm kit includes simple step by step instructions on building your Ant Jungle and caring for you ants, as well as different observational experiments for kids to do.
You can also create your own eco system and see how the ant farm reacts to different environments. The Ant Jungle can be joined together with the Worm Farm. A fantastic idea for school projects, science fairs or simply have an art farm as a unique pet.
Q. Do ants come with the Ant Jungle?
A. No - catching the ants is half the fun!
Q. Can I purchase ants from you?
A. Unfortunately not - shipping laws make it difficult for us to sell live insects in Australia.
Q. How do I catch the ants?
A. Great question! Here is what we have found works well:
1. This kit comes with a lidded container. Get a cotton wool ball, dip it in some water, sprinkle on some sugar and put it in the container.
2. Dig a hole in your garden deep enough for the container to sit in so that the top of the container is level with the soil.
3. Put the container in the hole (without the lid) and leave it for a short time.
4. Once there are enough ants in the container, put the lid on the container and put it in the fridge for about a minute (yes, really!).
5. Being in the cold will make the ants either go to sleep or become extremely sluggish. You should be able to simply pour them directly into your Ant Jungle, where they will wake up and go about their business.
It is also worth remembering that if you want to 'top up' your ant farm, you will need to remove all existing ants - if you introduce new ants that are from a different colony, they are likely to attack the ants you aready have.
Q. What kind of ants are best to catch?
A. Just about any species of ant that is about 3-5mm in length will work, however for safety reasons you may want to avoid particularly aggressive species. We find that smaller varieties of ants (like the Black House Ant) can sometimes fit through the air holes, however this can be mitigated - see below.
Q. How do I stop ants from escaping through the air holes?
A. The easiest method is to use ants that can't fit through the holes! If you want to keep smaller varieties of ants, you can try this method:
1. Mix some talcum powder and rubbing alcohol into a thin paste.
2. Using a craft paintbrush or cotton bud, apply the paste to the inside of the ant farm, about 1-2cm around any air holes.
3. The alcohol in the paste will quickly evaporate, leaving behind just the powder. The ants will find it hard to cross this barrier without slipping.
Q. How to I catch the queen?
A. We recommend not catching a queen as this can cause damage to the colony in the wild.
Q. What do I feed the ants?
A. This mostly depends on the species you have caught, however most ants will eat small amounts of vegetable scraps and dead insects. The Ant Jungle kit also comes with a great recipe for food that your ants will love!